Brace Your Beard: Summer Grooming
As the summer reaches its peak and the temperatures are scorching, men who have beards can find it quite difficult to deal with their overgrown facial hair.
But gentlemen, before you reach for that safety razor, why not take a look at these tips for summer beard grooming which can make your life easier and help you maintain the beard you take so much pride in even when the temperatures are hitting the 100 degree mark:
1. Keep in mind that there have been scientific studies which have proven that your beard can protect your skin to up to 95% from the harmful UV sunshine rays, which means that not only you are better protected from skin cancer but your skin will age much slower than that of a beardless man.
2. When the heat becomes unbearable, you can help keep yourself cool by spraying some cool water on your beard. This will help keep you cool and will act as an air conditioning unit for your entire face. Keep a spray bottle with water in the fridge and freshen yourself up from time to time. You will be thankful for that manly bear of yours!
3. Make sure you wash and condition your precious beard with the proper cosmetic
products. Keep in mind that excessive washing can cause serious damage to your beard
so invest in good quality beard shampooing and conditioning products to ensure that
your beard looks healthy, clean and as attractive as ever even in the hottest of days!
4. Protect your beard from the sun. Even though your beard protects your skin from direct exposure to the UV rays, you also need to make sure that the hair on your face is
protected as well. UV rays can make your hairs brittle and weak, so find yourself a good quality hair sun block product and apply it generously on your entire beard before you head out in the sun.
5. If you spend a lot of time on the beach, surfing or enjoying the cool breeze and waves, make sure that you apply the appropriate beard balm or oil to keep your facial hair from getting all frizzy from the saltwater. Tame that beard to stay good looking even after hours of fun on the beach.
6. Take care of the skin beneath your beard. Even though your beard provides superb
protection to your face both in summer and the winter, you need to properly cleanse and nourish it on a daily basis too. Use an appropriate skin cleaning scrub or cleanser to remove any debris and grime and to keep your facial skin soft and free of inflammations and blemishes.
Further reading: Brace Your Beard: Winter Grooming Guide
7. If you feel like you cannot bear one more moment with a beard in the scorching heat,
maybe it is time to give it a trim. Go to a barber or groom your beard by yourself with an appropriate beard trimmer. Leaving 1-2 inches of hair on your face will improve the
airflow to your skin and will make your face and beard much easier to clean from the
sweat, saltwater and other residues.
8. Drink more water. The intake of water in the summer is crucial for your proper hydration and your health, but it is also essential for keeping the hairs of your beard strong and healthy as well. So, make sure you drink enough water during the day, especially when it is very hot outside.
9. Swap the musky and woodsy bear oil which you proudly wear in the colder seasons for a lighter citrus based one. It will refresh your beard and make you feel much cooler and revitalized in the hot summer days.